Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Canadian Way Eh?

Post finally written after a suggestion from a nocturnal online friend who knowingly or unknowingly has inspired me to resume blogging! :)
The "eh?" is used in Canada at the end of almost every question.. "enjoyed your weekend eh?"
Where do I start about the past 5 months? It's been one crazy time with the confluence of cultures. So much to take in and a lot to watch. Made a few good international friends. (Un)fortunately, I did not even make an attempt to change my accent. Finally, at work, my team's got adjusted to the accent. I have this Chinese friend who amuses me a lot with her way of saying "rumali roti". She rotates her hands above her head (to show the way it's made). I really do not think we swing our hands that way when we make the roti.

Anyway, food was something I knew would be this way. ...
We have Indian masalas here, but the taste is not as good as in India.
The tea here at cafe shops is just caffeinated water! Even if you say double-double ( 2 spoons of milk powder and sugar each), it just becomes white caffeinated water. Be it Second Cup or Tim Hortons (Timmy's). Nothing gives me the same pleasure as having the masala/cardamom tea at Bangalore.
There's something about Timmy's though.. on a cold winter day, having a hot cup of chocolate milk. YUM. However, everyone feels the same way, so Timmy's is usually crowded on such days.
There's something about pets and people here. They absolutely LOVE pets, sometimes even more than their parents and can engage in a conversation about them for a very LONG period of time.

Reading the Hindu online has become a habit now. I think I follow more news about India now than when I was there!

My present Home...
So, I live at this place called Pickering, that's about an hour from the happening place - Toronto. That's where all the activities take place, very vibrant night life. Pickering is a quiet place.. mostly like the country side, lots of trails and frozen streams during winter. The best month was December, with a lot of year end parties and new year eve celebrations.
On weekdays, two hours everyday is spent on traveling to work in the "GO BUS". It is not as arduous as it seems, the GO buses are luxurious to say the least. The only lack wifi :)

So life nowadays, it's mostly discovering trails in Pickering/Ajax, that's a lot of fun. Next week is my first skiing trip and I'm totally looking forward to it. The ski resort is Devil's Glen at the south of Collingwood.

No comments: