Friday, March 09, 2012

Do we really want to know?

Scenario: Late Night Thoughts
Inspiration in bits and pieces: *Onky and Fred

So, I have heard that when people really figure out what they want to do in life, it's true bliss. But, do we really want to know what we want to do in life? Isn't the uncertainty, the bursts of happiness, the understanding of small things and everything that comes with it what constitutes a wholesome life?

Maybe, if you really find out what you are supposed to do, life's no longer interesting. You have to give a shot at stuff, try different things. I have tried small ones and yes, it is hard initially but later on it gives this huge experience, that you probably would never get if you were so hell bent on sticking to a master plan.

Sometimes, when you see people, you know they are meant to do what they are doing, since they do it so well. But, really that does not mean that's what they are supposed to do. Take a break, try something else. Why should life be so serious? I strongly believe this train of thought stems from moving to Canada and the influence of some of my labmates (truly admire their decision process). I have heard of investment bankers who completely change from what they are doing 18 hours a day to doing labour work like plumbing. If it helps clear the mind and do something satisfying, it's totally worth the 'risk'. Yes, there will be the sceptical looks and the nagging feeling. I don't think I would do something like that, because while ibanking is software development for me, I do not know what's the analogy of plumbing for me!

It takes truck loads of courage to do something like this, but it should be fun and probably scary initially. Might be not right, but yes, you tried something different.

Similar thing goes with the small things... which is what I decided to start with. Yes, I am scared of the uncertainty. Wish me luck, I am sure I'll need it!

*Pseudo names are used, yes these people are called by these names.
F uses Fred when he wants to order pizza and people find it easier to to pronounce Fred rather than his original name.
Onky was called that by his college mates at NIT Trichy.

P.S: Just saw this video on TED. Something along similar lines, trying smaller things for 30 days.

http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_cutts_try_something_new_for_30_days.html

5 comments:

dj said...

so what was the small thing you tried? :)

Aparna said...

I think i know where exactly you got this inspiration from leave aside Fred and Onky. In fact I know what the "small things" you re planning to try to :P You would be surprised to know i ve become smarter :P:P There is a lot hidden in this blog ;) Hahaha

Kryptonite said...

@dj: danny boy! first off, hi! been so long. hehe, will tell you offline.

@aparna: yea, it's intentionally cryptic. And the plan is in progress :)

Paro said...

Really nice read madam! Especially coz had a similar discussion yday night in my hostel :)
and so, wats the cryptic msg this post is intending to convey?

Kryptonite said...

paroji! :D

There seems to be a lot of people thinking of similar stuff. I think once we experience different situations, we start to wonder what is it that we want.

And i realised it's a good thing that we never really know the answer to it.