Sunday, July 15, 2007

My Fair Lady Series II - Cyclones

As the tag-mania has taken the blogging world by storm it’s Mrs. X mania for me..;)
Anyways ,I’m sooner or later going to succumb to the tag bug..
Coming back to Mrs. X ..sorry about this disclaimer craze.. but I just can’t help it..
Disclaimer : If anything written in this post hurts anyone’s sentiments about Katrina Kaif.. pls bear with me ;0)
Just about two weeks back a massive cyclone .. Gonu had hit Oman and parts of uae including Fujairah. So the media – Tv and newspapers where giving news 24x7 about this cyclone. Naturally some of us were talking about this, when I wondered aloud about who gave the names to these cyclones .. n how were they named..
‘My Fair Lady’ told me rather seriously…
“ Anna u did not know? These cyclones are actually names of people.. you know there were cyclones like Katrina..(pause..) .. Kaifa ..pause.. now Gonu .. “
I had never heard of a cyclone named Kaifa.. when it suddenly struck me.. Mrs. X got confused wid Katrina Kaif.. whoa ..i told her about it.. n both of us burst out laughing..she told me she confused cyclone Rita with ‘kaifa’..;)
Then I told her about our Katrina Kaif.. n she sheepishly told me about reading it in that day’s tabloids..
Anyways, I’ll never forget about our cyclone ‘kaifa’..;)

2 comments:

Ajith Prasad Balakrishnan said...

Adding to that cyclone naming thing, till about early part of 20th century, cyclones and tornadoes were named after women.. Some women's group in US protested and they started newly discovered cyclones after men too :) .. But as most of the cyclones/tornadoes were discovered by that time, majority of them have ladies' names :)

Kryptonite said...

so there is some reason behind all these wierd names... male chauvinists